The John Byrne Award is an online exhibition, competition, and community, welcoming people who seek a deeper understanding of the values that drive our beliefs and actions. Find all the entry details below and the entry form at the bottom of this page.
- The John Byrne Monthly Award (£250)
23:59 on the last day of every month.
- The John Byrne Annual Award (£2500)
23:59 on Friday 31 January 2020.
HOW TO ENTER THE JOHN BYRNE AWARD
Entries are shared with The John Byrne Award using the form below.
- Are between 16 and 30 years old, living or studying in Scotland.
- Accept the terms and conditions of entry and are familiar with our privacy notice.
- Enter a maximum of one entry per person or team per month.
Entries include one:
- Creative piece of work (we accept any kind of work).
- Question (to act as a title for your entry).
- Paragraph (200 words max) questioning the values expressed in the work and explaining why the ideas are worthy of contemplation.
WHAT WE DO AFTER YOU SHARE YOUR WORK
- Post all entries online.
- Post some entries on John Byrne Award social channels.
- Automatically enter all entries into the monthly and annual competitions.
Judging the monthly award:
- The John Byrne Award staff use the judging criteria to review all entries and create the monthly shortlist, announced at the start of each month.
- The John Byrne Award Monthly Judging Panel use the judging criteria to review the shortlist and select the monthly winner.
- They announce and award £250 to the winner of The John Byrne Monthly Award in the middle of each month.
Judging the annual award:
- In February 2020, John Byrne Award staff will use the judging criteria to review all entries received between 01 Feb 2019 and 31 Jan 2020. They add the best entries to our annual shortlist.
- We announce and award £2500 to the winner of The John Byrne Annual Award at our awards ceremony in February every year.
- Make each word in your accompanying description count. The clearer you make your point, the more powerful your entry will be. Both the description and the creative work are considered when judging the entry.
- Make sure that your entry meets the judging criteria, as closely as possible to increase your chances of winning.
- If you are taking a photo of your creative work, make sure the lighting is good and the resolution of the photo high.
- Entries that are in an audio or video format should already be hosted on Souncloud, Vimeo, or YouTube. This enables us to embed a link to your work in our online exhibition.