The John Byrne Award is a free, online exhibition, competition, and community, welcoming people who seek a deeper understanding of the values that drive our beliefs and actions. Find all the entry details below and the entry form at the bottom of this page.
HOW TO ENTER THE JOHN BYRNE AWARD
To enter the competition, simply use the form below to fill in your details and upload your work. The competition is completely free to enter. You can enter once per quarter throughout our competition year.
After you submit your entry, we will post it online, here, and may also share it on John Byrne Award social channels. Your entry is automatically entered into both the quarterly and annual competition. Deadlines and details can be found below.
(See our FAQs page for further information on our submission form.)
REQUIREMENTS & DEADLINES
The John Byrne Award accepts work in any creative discipline, on any topic – however, entries must include:
- A piece of creative work on a chosen theme or value (written work must be no more than 15,000 words in length).
- An entry title, which must be phrased as a question (this is not the title of your creative work but of your John Byrne Award entry as a whole).
- An entry statement, of no more than 200 words, explaining what your creative work communicates, and why these ideas are important.
Your entry is judged equally on the creative work and your entry statement. See also, What Makes a Great John Byrne Award Entry.
Entrants must also:
- Be aged over 16, and living or studying in Scotland.
- Have accepted the terms and conditions of entry and be familiar with our privacy notice.
Competition deadlines are as follows:
- The John Byrne Quarterly Award (£500)
23:59 on the last day of April, July, and October.
- The John Byrne Annual Award (£7500)
23:59 on Friday 31 January 2020.
BEFORE YOU SUBMIT
- Proofread your entry statement – or have your most pedantic friend do it for you! This is your opportunity to explain what your entry is saying, and it needs to be as clear and powerful as possible – so make every word count!
- Make sure that any media you upload does your work justice i.e. images are clear, well-lit, high resolution, and not blurry or pixelated; sound or video files are good quality; and PDFs are well-laid out and easy to read.
- Finally, remember to read the Judging Criteria or What Makes a Great John Byrne Award Entry to make sure your entry has the best chance of winning!
If you have any trouble with the form or submission process, please check out our FAQs.