Each year The John Byrne Award invites a team of professionals, all experts in their field, to review our entries and select the winners of our top prize of £1000 and two commendation prizes of £500. This year we are proud to announce that our judges are:
Hamish Matheson (chair of judging panel) - Senior Geologist at Cairn Energy
Janine Matheson - Director of Creative Edinburgh
Jacqueline Donachie - Contemporary Scottish Artist
Muslim Alim - Senior producer at the BBC
Personal Exploration (x/10)
· Comprehension: How clear is the entrant's understanding of their chosen value(s)?
· Consideration: Has the entrant questioned their chosen value(s) and shown personal growth?
· Expression: Does the piece itself reflect this understanding and consideration?
Society and Change (x/10)
· Investigation: Is the piece informed by research into a particular issue or idea?
· Engagement: Is the piece compelling in its message or argument?
· Innovation: Does the piece present an alternative approach to current societal values?
Technical Execution (x/10)
· Intention: Is the piece informed by a deliberate creative concept and process?
· Execution: How proficient is the entrant in the technical execution of their chosen medium?
· Impact: Do the artistic qualities of the piece enhance the expression of the entrant's chosen value(s)?